QC Sensory Coord. and R&D Lab Technician Featured
Yakima Chief Hops - Yakima, WA
306 Division St
Job Title: Yakima QC Sensory Coordinator and R&D Lab Technician
Department: Technical Solutions
Classification: Exempt Salary
Reports to: Director of R&D
To Apply, Go To:
- Passion for hops, agriculture, quality, sustainability and brewing.
- Preferred background in life sciences, food science and/or sensory science through work experience or formal education.
- Project management skills preferred.
- Excellent mathematical, communication and computer skills, be strongly detail oriented and be able to easily multi-task.
- Demonstrated aptitude for data management and working cross departmentally to create long term system-wide quality improvement.
- Ability to independently initiate, prioritize, and perform or solve work problems and ultimately achieve work objectives and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in written and verbal form with co-workers, supervisor and management.
- Follow and contribute to written (Standard Operating Procedures -SOP’s, company memos & emails) and verbal instructions including company safety rules.
- Familiarity with plant equipment operation and SOPs.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Possess a strong work ethic to positively contribute to the company’s mission, vision, values and environmental policy and quality policy.
- Must have a positive attitude, support co-workers to obtain desired objectives, and assist others in their contributions.
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for extended periods of time and access stairs and ladders.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat occasionally to frequently.
- Ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (in required areas) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift (up to 50 lbs), carry (up to 44 lbs) occasionally to frequently within normal limits.
- Ability to adapt to changing paces and processes quickly.
- Must be able to learn ERP systems to perform data entry & print reports.
- Must be able to work long hours whether at a desk or in the field.
- Must embrace and nurture a culture of continuous improvement.
- Attentive to the task and own surroundings.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a dependable vehicle, and be willing to travel between YCH facilities.
The purpose of this position is to execute and manage the QC sensory panel including sample preparation, panel set up, maintaining sensory facilities, manage sample inventory, and organize and analyze sensory data. This person will communicate frequently with sensory panelists and the Production, Quality, and Technical Solutions departments. This position will also work as a research lab technician.
- Perform daily operations regarding sample requisition, preparation, and analysis
- Request and prepare sensory, R&D lab, and brewing samples
- Manage sample inventory and sampling for Technical Solutions projects
- Perform regular sensory panel set up, execution, and clean up
- Export sensory data and manage sensory database
- Prepare panel training materials
- Execute panelist training sessions
- Assist with methods development and draft sensory standard operating procedures
- Perform statistical analysis on hop and beer sensory data including but not limited to: test of normality, MANOVA, ANOVA, t-test, etc.
- Maintain a sanitary and safe work environment
- Transport samples to and from all YCH facilities between Yakima and Sunnyside
- Analyze incoming samples as per protocol and SOP’s
- Prepare leaf hops, cryo products, hop pellets, hop extract, advanced products, hop oil and beer.
- Analyze samples by UV, HPLC, GCMS-O, GCQTOF-SCD, Turbidity meter, Anton Parr, and pH meter
- Operate wipe film extractor, rotovap, spinning band distillation, centrifuges and oil distillation apparatuses.
- Write and modify SOPs as required
- Assist with method and new product development
- Maintain systems to store and interpret data
- Prepare reports for internal distribution and industry presentations as directed
- Remain up to date with current and future technology that applies to the lab, hops, hop products, and beer
- Technical Solutions team member
- Assist in maintaining a pleasant, organized and effective working environment
- Approach issues or concerns with a positive attitude and solution-minded outlook
- Communicate with customers and other YCH teams to share results and present ideas
- Assist in maintaining all relevant analysis equipment and facilities to ensure accuracy and dependability
- Assist in the investigation and resolution of quality issues
- Assist supervisor with ordering and maintaining sensory lab and R&D lab supplies
- Assist the Sensory Team as necessary
- Assist the R&D laboratory and Grower Liaison as necessary.
- Provide technical support to YCH staff and customers
- Perform other duties within the company as required
- Continuously look for ways to improve process efficiency and work with teams and supervisors to evaluate recommendations and craft process improvement plans
- Adhere to company safety policies as well as federal, state, and local safety and environmental regulations
- Maintain sanitary and safe work environment and follow safety requirements.
- May actively participate on company’s Safety Committee.
- Ensure that company safety policies as well as federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations are observed.
- Must have a complete understanding of company’s policies, SOPs, QPs, EPs, HACCP and cGMP that pertain to their department to ensure quality, safety, efficiency and sustainability.
- Must adhere to all company policies.
- Examine documents, materials, and products and monitor work processes to assess completeness, accuracy and conformance to standards and specifications.
- Follow all SOPs in a given area.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Manager and/or designee.
To Apply, Go To:
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.