A higher degree of healthcare.
All across UW Medicine, our employees collaborate to perform the highest quality work with integrity and compassion and to create a respectful, welcoming environment where every patient, family, student and colleague is valued and honored.
UW Medicine’s mission is to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding primary and specialty care to the people of the region, and preparing tomorrow’s physicians, scientists and other health professionals.
Become part of our team and join our mission to make life healthier for everyone in our community.
UW Medicine has an outstanding opportunity for a RESEARCH NURSE SUPERVISOR. The Research Nurse Supervisor will play a critical role in the study of COVID-19 transmission rates. The Research Nurse Supervisor will oversee a team of 3 Research Nurses, who will obtain COVID-related data from over 7,000 participants across the State of Washington.
The Research Nurse Supervisor will serve in the Virology Division of Laboratory Medicine for statewide longitudinal SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) virologic and serologic surveys for Washington, conducted in partnership with state and county-level public health authorities. We are actively collaborating with other groups to perform analysis of immunity, host and viral factors.
The Research Nurse Supervisor will work 40 hours per week for a fixed-duration research assignment, anticipated to run for 6-8 months. The Research Nurse Supervisor will regularly travel throughout Yakima, Kittitas, Benton, Franklin, and Chelan County.
- Collaborate with the Research Coordinator and principal investigator to establish, write, and review standard operating procedures and research protocol for field data collection, specimen storage and transport, and return of results
- Develop and facilitate trainings for survey staff and external collaborators on data and specimen collection and specimen transport
- Consult with and engage external collaborators, such as community and local health department leaders to implement the survey
- Direct and manage the work of Research Nurses and support staff such as phlebotomists, clerical support personnel, scheduling assistants, laboratory couriers, and other external collaborators to achieve research objectives
- Supervise all aspects of data collection to ensure quality control of data and adherence to ethical and safety guidelines of survey staff and external collaborators
- Monitor adherence to research protocol to enroll and assess eligibility of survey participants
- Manage hiring, corrective action, performance management, time keeping, and other supervisory duties
- Perform specialized tasks such as venipuncture, nasopharyngeal swabs and operation of electronic monitoring equipment
- Prepare, create and update research reports, present via zoom or in-person interim findings as needed
- Help prepare and monitor research budgets
- Travel to and from multiple survey sites and other locations employed for survey logistics and management
- Bachelor's Degree in nursing or a relevant field AND three years of experience as a registered nurse, including one year experience at the Registered Nurse 2 - Research level
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Washington
- Valid driver’s license
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience interviewing and collecting specimens in research settings, especially outside of a clinic environment
- Public health education experience
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Will be considered essential staff and as such will be required to report to work when scheduled despite inclement weather
- Must be able to meet with all shifts on a regular basis
- Travel estimated around 75%
- Will work different shifts to attain adequate response rates for the survey, including afternoons, evenings and weekend work
- Must operate motor vehicle for travel to and from sites, transport of survey personnel, and transport specimens for processing and delivery to courier
- Regular teleconference work and possible travel required to Seattle for meetings with research leadership team and collaborators
This is a fixed-term, benefits-eligible position.
Please apply on the UW Careers Site to be considered: