The Yakima Basin Fish & Wildlife Recovery Board is looking for an Operations Manager to perform a wide range of functions in a dynamic small office setting. The Operations Manager will work under the general direction of the Executive Director to manage the organization’s finances, contracts, office space and computer system, organize meetings and events, implement Board policies, develop Board documents, and participate in outreach efforts and other YBFWRB programs. The Operations Manager must be able to produce high-quality work with only limited supervision. This is a rewarding opportunity to be a part of a locally-based organization that promotes fish and wildlife restoration in the Yakima Basin. For more about the Board, see www.ybfwrb.org.
Financial Management (~20% of time):
The Operations Manager will:
- Manage payables, prepare checks, and make deposits;
- Ensure all digital and hard copy financial records are properly kept;
- Prepare financial reports for the Executive Director and Board;
- Prepare reports and billing packets for grant and contract expenditures;
- Ensure timely completion of payroll, liability payments, and tax reporting;
- Coordinate any audits and other outside reviews;
- Work with outside bookkeeper and accountant as required to complete above.
Operational Functions (~30% time):
- Work with Executive Director to ensure that the organization meets legal requirements and Board and funder’s policies;
- Schedule, organize, assist facilitating & prepare minutes for meetings of the Board, committees and work groups;
- Maintain communications with Board members and other constituents;
- Prepare well-written, graphically appealing documents for the Board;
- Prepare and manage office-support contracts (computer support, accounting,, etc);
- Work with staff to develop and implement contracts, MOAs and intergovernmental agreements;
- Research funding opportunities and prepare grant applications;
- Manage Board databases and complete data entry tasks.
Project Management (up to 30% time):
- Coordinate Board work on specific projects as assigned by the Executive Director, to include:
- Managing meeting logistics, records, document editing and correspondence for recovery plan updates;
- Coordinating completion of work products by Board committees.
- Potentially provide support services for partner organizations (e.g. Council of Regions & Washington Salmon Coalition)
Outreach Functions (~10% time):
- Maintain/update website content and coordinate web support;
- Support outreach efforts by program staff;
- Write and edit reports, mailings, meeting packets, e-mail updates, newsletters, presentations & other outreach materials;
- Organize and participate in outreach events (public meetings, tours, etc.);
- Track media coverage and maintain media contacts;
- Maintain a resource library (of both hard copy and digital files).
Administrative Functions (~10% time):
- Maintain a productive and welcoming office environment for the Board, including basic maintenance of the office space, files, procurement of office supplies and equipment;
- Complete basic maintenance of office computer network (updates, backups, etc.) and coordinate outside technical support;
- Organize and maintain the organization’s contact lists, correspondence and digital and hard copy filing system.
- Ability to take a lead role in managing the finances of a small organization;
- Experience completing detail-oriented work both individually and as part of a team;
- Strong written and oral communication abilities;
- Ability to work with public, staff and others in a professional manner;
- Experience working independently, self-initiating duties, prioritizing assigned tasks and making substantive decisions;
- Experience using common office software (e.g. full suite of Microsoft Office Programs);
- College degree and/or significant prior experience in an administrative/managerial setting;
- Discretion and ability to respect confidentiality;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with occasional travel and evening/weekend events.
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting software;
- Desktop publishing, GIS, web editing and/or graphic design skills;
- Experience organizing and facilitating meetings and work teams;
- Familiarity with maintaining a small office computer network;
- Experience in environmental or natural resource field;
- Experience working with local governments.
The Operations Manager will travel regularly within the Yakima Basin and to occasional meetings throughout the state. A valid Washington State Driver’s License and ability to provide your own vehicle are required. Travel will be reimbursed at the State-approved rate.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Operations Manager must possess 1) mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings (some in the evening) at various sites, 2) strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 20 pounds; 3) vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and 4) hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
The Operations Manager will be paid between $18 and $28/hr depending on experience and qualifications. Benefits include health insurance, retirement plan and paid leave. This is a full time, 40 hour per week position based in Yakima; however a part-time schedule may be negotiable with candidates who request one.
Position open until filled; first review of applications to occur on September 6, 2019. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, a recent writing sample* and the name, address, phone number and email for three references familiar with your professional abilities. Send applications to:
Yakima Basin Fish & Wildlife Recovery Board
1200 Chesterly Drive, Suite 280
Yakima, WA 98902
Or submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
*The writing sample should be a professional or academic document written within the last 5 years of which you are the primary author. It should display your writing skills and style. A length of 2 to 10 pages is appropriate. You are not being asked for a handwriting sample.